Musée

THE FRIENDS' ASSOCIATION OF THE BASQUE MUSEUM

THE MUSEUM

The origins of the museum

The association and the museum

Further information


Home
Association
Museum
Publications



 Eusk      Cast      Fr

The origins of the Basque and the history of Bayonne Museum

Dagourette

Outlined in 1897 during the Congress of the Bask traditions in Saint Jean de Luz , then drawn before WWI, the project of an ethnological and historical Museum was born in 1922 in Bayonne and opened in 1924. The collections were put then in a house dating from the 18th Century, which was called Dagourette House and which was bordered with 3 warehouses.
Dagourette House painted by Veyrin in 1924   The banks of the river Nive and the Museum in May 2007

The association and the Museum
The 'SAMB' clearly participates to the life of the Museum
It organizes entertainments
- For all kinds of audience, on the 1st Sunday of each month
- For children, except on school-time
- During national events ( European Patrimony Days)
- During local events ( Bayonne Feast, exhibitions)
The association contributes to the enrichment of the collections, either directly through gifts, or indirectly as a link between the Museum and donors.
It exchanges its publications with more than 80 organizations all over the world and gives to the Documentary Center of the Museum the publications it gets from them.It provides the translation into Basque of the review about the collections of the Museum.
The collaboration with the Museum has become stronger and stronger since its re-opening in 2001. We are careful as its needs either with the keepers or guardians.

Further information
Site of the Museum
The Museum is located in the district called' Petit Bayonne' (old town) in Dagourette House
Musée Basque et de l'histoire de Bayonne
37 quai des Corsaires

F 64100 BAYONNE
France
tel. 33 (0) 5 59 46 61 90

Official information

site du Musée

top

Send an email to SAMB
Map